Home Cigar 101
Options

Winter Smoking

ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
So anyone have tips to smoking in the winter. Talking like 35 degrees and lower stuff.
Is there a difference in how fast you should smoke or change in the RH? Any tips you pros have?
Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.

Comments

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was told last year to let your cigar sit outside to acclimate to the cold a bit otherwise you may have splitting/cracking problems. Then I decided to just smoke inside because I'm a wuss.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, I just turn the space heater up and stay away from the window. If its really really cold I put on a long sleeve shirt......
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cold is one thing but cold and wind and your'e pretty well screwed. Maybe a snow cave? I'm spoiled cause got a heated studio to herf in. Going to be 18 tonight.
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CharlieHeis:
    I was told last year to let your cigar sit outside to acclimate to the cold a bit otherwise you may have splitting/cracking problems. Then I decided to just smoke inside because I'm a wuss.
    ROFL!! Good one, Charlie!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't do it very often. That's my advice.

I have smoked in temps that cold, but if the wind blows it's miserable. I have a covered porch, but it's not enclosed. I use a space heater to keep my feet warm and bundle up really well. I can't smoke in the garage because it's got a vent that goes through the attic and you can smell it in the rest of the house. And it's a rental, so...

I'm considering hanging some tarps/plastic sheeting on one corner of the back porch to block the wind and maybe keep in some heat. Not sure how it will work, but it's not permanent and there are already nails and hooks on the overhang.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not everyone has the luxury of smoking indoors and every time it gets cold these threads begin. And every time you "Indoor" guys put your two cents in. That's not even nice. What if somebody posts that they're down on their luck with car troubles? Do you reply by telling us about your new Corvette? STFU.

• Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Im not a pro by any means, but to me, I just do what I normally do. I havnt had any problems. This morning was 28 degrees and my stick burned just fine.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wouldn't consider myself a pro but i do smoke cigars outdoors during the colder months .....

top 2 tips:

do not grab your top-shelf rare premeprimeprems if you're outdoors in the cold

and keep a box of matches nearby

as far as the top-shelf rare smokes in the cold goes ---- if you get cold and want to "head in early" you will just end up pissed off. (well maybe you won't, but i would) because you'll either toss the cigar halfway through and be mad for tossing it. or continue to sit outside and freeze your a$$ off, feeling you need to smoke the cigar since it's rare/special/etc. mad at the cold weather and you won't enjoy the smoke.
    also, cold weather tends to dull the sense so you may not get as much out of it.

stick with budget or mid-range smokes, something that's easy to come by and you won't be p!ssed if you put it out early.

and i've had problems with butane torch lighters when it's cold (someone explained the science behind it before but i don't remember why or who) but they just don't work well in the cold .... so keep some matches handy when it's cold.

i try to puff at a regular pace, but might speed up at the end, if it's getting cold and i'm ready to head in.

and i have had a couple wrappers give me issues when it's super cold & dry, usually they'll crack at the foot but nothing i couldn't smoke through.

thick layers of clothes, thick socks, thick gloves, and those little disposable thermal hand warmers make things better.

Bob Luken:
    Not everyone has the luxury of smoking indoors and every time it gets cold these threads begin. And every time you "Indoor" guys put your two cents in. That's not even nice. What if somebody posts that they're down on their luck with car troubles? Do you reply by telling us about your new Corvette? STFU.

damn someone is p!ssed off today lol

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    i wouldn't consider myself a pro but i do smoke cigars outdoors during the colder months .....

top 2 tips:

do not grab your top-shelf rare premeprimeprems if you're outdoors in the cold

and keep a box of matches nearby

as far as the top-shelf rare smokes in the cold goes ---- if you get cold and want to "head in early" you will just end up pissed off. (well maybe you won't, but i would) because you'll either toss the cigar halfway through and be mad for tossing it. or continue to sit outside and freeze your a$$ off, feeling you need to smoke the cigar since it's rare/special/etc. mad at the cold weather and you won't enjoy the smoke.
    also, cold weather tends to dull the sense so you may not get as much out of it.

stick with budget or mid-range smokes, something that's easy to come by and you won't be p!ssed if you put it out early.

and i've had problems with butane torch lighters when it's cold (someone explained the science behind it before but i don't remember why or who) but they just don't work well in the cold .... so keep some matches handy when it's cold.

i try to puff at a regular pace, but might speed up at the end, if it's getting cold and i'm ready to head in.

and i have had a couple wrappers give me issues when it's super cold & dry, usually they'll crack at the foot but nothing i couldn't smoke through.

thick layers of clothes, thick socks, thick gloves, and those little disposable thermal hand warmers make things better.

Bob Luken:

damn someone is p!ssed off today lol
    +1. Good advice and pretty much what I do. I just got through a year of marriage and pretty sure I'd only be married a year and a week if I smoked inside LOL. That said, I'm not mad at the people that can smoke inside but I am jealous! I just accept the fact I won't be able to smoke as much in the winter. I can't wait until the day I can move to warmer climates but right now I just hope winter isn't as cold this year as it was last year.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D Fresh:
    ......I just got through a year of marriage and pretty sure I'd only be married a year and a week if I smoked inside LOL. .....
    bwahahaha. i'd probably be in the same boat bro lol.
    but eh, not even mad about not smoking inside. if i had a room that was sealed off/well ventilated i'd consider it if the smell wouldn't get to the rest of the house. but i really wouldn't want the house (and everything in it) smelling like cigar smoke. spent a lot of time/$ fixing up the place not trying to "stink it up" ya know? and no disrespect to you guys who do smoke inside ... to each their own.

we have tossed around the idea of tearing down the detached garage and rebuilding it bigger (more storage/workshop space) and also adding a second story that could be a "man cave/cigar lounge". wife's on board with the idea but unless we decide to stay in this house for 10+ years we just can't justify spending that type of $$$ on a project that wouldn't see much of a return when we sell. would rather spend that $$$ on some travel and take some nice vacations

(sorry for thread jackin' BTW)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    I think most of you know but for anyone wondering, I was being facetious in my earlier post.

The key to cold & windy outdoor smoking is, in my opinion, crating a barrier so that you can remain warm and dry. One solution is an ice fishing tent or a hunting blind. Furnished with a comfortable chair and a small propane or electric heater, these are quite comfortable accommodations for smoking.
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Great. Now you got me looking up hunting blinds on Amazon. Problem is, I am 6' 4" and these look a little cozy in the height area. Do they make ones that aren't camo? Is that a dumb question? Lol

Wife told me I can't smoke in the new truck anymore :(

I might just wait a week and make an igloo.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    Great. Now you got me looking up hunting blinds on Amazon. Problem is, I am 6' 4" and these look a little cozy in the height area. Do they make ones that aren't camo? Is that a dumb question? Lol

You could always build something simple.
  • Options
    Eulogy:
    youngryan216:

You have obviously never seen me with tools. Hahah
  • Options
    youngryan216:
    Eulogy:
    youngryan216:

Piece of plywood leaning against your house?
  • Options
    Eulogy:
    youngryan216:
    Eulogy:
    youngryan216:

I think the Fisher Price Cozy Cottage snaps together so, ......no tools required ;)
  • Options
    Eulogy:
    youngryan216:
    Eulogy:
    youngryan216:

What am I a hobo?
  • Options
    youngryan216:
    Eulogy:
    youngryan216:
    Eulogy:
    youngryan216:

What am I a hobo?
    A tall hobo... That's something...
  • Options
    ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    youngryan216:
    Eulogy:
    youngryan216:
    Eulogy:
    youngryan216:

What am I a hobo?
    If you end up listening to the plywood idea i would say so
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Options
    Got a space heater and blew a fuse in the house from outside. Gotta figure out how to not do that.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gee whiz....you guys are making me feel bad...siting in my room...sipping Glenmorangie dual cask...smoking a Cinco Vegas Gold Churchill...watching a foot ball game...in my big and tall guys soooo comfy rocker recliner...occasionally looking out the window...petting the dogs. It is all making me so hungry, I think I'll make a couple of grilled Gouda cheese samiches with ham and refresh my drink.
  • Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:

Not sure were you all are from, but I would assume if your in cold climate deer hunting is pretty popular. Reason I say this is my local walmart has a hunting blind for like $85 bucks. This saves you from waiting for one to come in from ups or fedex...
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another issue with outside winter herfing. Cold hands. When you get cold motor skills start to go south and you might fumble your stogie. I wear gloves and use a nubber to hold my stick. I have a place to smoke inside but sometimes i just like to get out in it. The nubber works.
  • Options
    First Warrior:
    Another issue with outside winter herfing. Cold hands. When you get cold motor skills start to go south and you might fumble your stogie. I wear gloves and use a nubber to hold my stick. I have a place to smoke inside but sometimes i just like to get out in it. The nubber works.

Cigar McGuyver with the nubber! I like it. However, there is something weird to me about not feeling the cigar between my fingers that I would miss about the experience. But, you know, any port in a storm.