Home General Discussion

How cold is too cold to smoke?

FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
So here I am sitting on the back patio at work smoking a Camacho Ditka 89 and it's 39* and fairly windy. I am in work out shorts a T-shirt and a light jacket. I am half way through the cigar and I'll admit my legs and hands are getting a bit on the cold side.

At what temp do you draw the line for outside smokes?

Comments

• youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    It's truck herf season. If I can see my breath, it's too cold to be outside for an hour + .
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    I smoked this afternoon and it was 31 and windy. Even being dressed for it, I don't see me doing that often. Of course I say that now...
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going to be 21 tommorrow night, better get some Thick Socks. Brrrrrr
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FireRob:
    So here I am sitting on the back patio at work smoking a Camacho Ditka 89 and it's 39* and fairly windy. I am in work out shorts a T-shirt and a light jacket. I am half way through the cigar and I'll admit my legs and hands are getting a bit on the cold side.

Do you think Ditka complains about the cold in Chicago while he is smoking? Man up and smoke like you have a pair.
    BTW. You will pay for that signature line
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    God Bless the South!
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if your toe start turning black get inside!!
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    33 here and I moved to the basement last night
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jack nicholson shining photo: Jack frozen the-shining-snow.jpg
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• BrianakBrianak Posts: 255
    Was 40 here in Alaska. So I smoked on the back deck.
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    With my patio heater I got for free for helping a friend out 35? tonight didn't feel too bad at all!
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    <15?
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Luckily I can smoke in my apartment. I make sure to open a window and have a fan blowing towards it and also light some incense. While I was still in Phoenix I had to smoke outside and a couple times it was colder there than it was here in NY. I remember a couple high 20s and low 30s nights out on the patio smoking a cigar. Definitely much nicer being able to smoke inside.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    rsherman24:

Do you think Ditka complains about the cold in Chicago while he is smoking? Man up and smoke like you have a pair.
    BTW. You will pay for that signature line
    First I wasn't complaining, second, you like my signature line? Well I couldn't believe you actually said it and I wanted everyone else to see what a fan you are, so I thought I would forever immortalize it. Your welcome buddy!
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    twistedstem:
    jack nicholson shining photo: Jack frozen the-shining-snow.jpg
    Vance, that cracked me up! I picture this being the look on JD50's face on a morning in Januarly with the thought caption of "must have my coffee and a Cinco Vegas Gold!"
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything below 45 degrees and i move into my studio. Cigars are tough to enjoy in the wind. I take a page from JD's book and burn some sage while i smoke.
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    I dont have a place to smoke inside is i fire up a propane heater and smoke next to it.
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it's 60 deg out I say eff that noise
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never too cold. I have my ways (to remain comfortable). I've told you guys before how to do it but all I heard was crickets.. Y'all must think I'm crazy. But, I smoke.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I feel like a good cigar is to be enjoyed in a relaxing way. I don't see a point in being uncomfortable. So too cold is when it's not relaxing anymore.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FireRob:

You are crazy bro. If the temp gets below 40 you bet your a$$ I'm throwing on a coat and gloves! And shorts when it's 39!! NO WAY!!!!

But for me outside smoking stops whenever it gets too cold to walk the dog --- around 20-ish.
    As long as I got on a couple layers of clothes and a thick pair of gloves I'm good to go for a smoke while we walk.
    Pretty sure the neighbors think we're insane for being out when it's that cold though and I'm puffing on a cigar LOL.

danielzreyes:
    When it's 60 deg out I say eff that noise
    pandejo

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree with Ken. I smoke to relax and enjoy. I prefer to smoke out on the back deck with the dogs , but when it's crappy outside, I simply smoke inside.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I'm not able to pull up a pant leg to show off some hoisery because it's cold out .... I say Eff that noise.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Never.
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    I feel like a good cigar is to be enjoyed in a relaxing way. I don't see a point in being uncomfortable. So too cold is when it's not relaxing anymore.
    +1
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    coldest I smoked was in about 5-10 degree weather. I pushed my luck that time, it was so cold, my cigar came apart.

"Long ashes my friends."

First snow of the year here. I went to the B&M for shelter.

What sucks is, I've got an order coming , and I'm watching like a dog for the mail b/c I'm worried about this bs weather and their health out in it. Been out on delivery for 3 days b/c of Vets day. Cold ruins everything.
    And brother CharlieHeis tried to bomb me at my old address over a week ago. They have my forwarding addy but, I have a feeling I'm gonna get some cigarcicles forwarded here in a few days lol
    youngryan216:
    First snow of the year here. I went to the B&M for shelter.

What sucks is, I've got an order coming , and I'm watching like a dog for the mail b/c I'm worried about this bs weather and their health out in it. Been out on delivery for 3 days b/c of Vets day. Cold ruins everything.
    As long as they're dry (no rain or snow) they should be okay in the cold. Many BOTLs freeze their cigars on arrival for beetles. It's cigar deliveries during the summer heat that ya gotta watch for.
    Good info. How long do you generally freeze new sticks before the beetles (if any) perish? Might start doing that myself.
    youngryan216:
    Good info. How long do you generally freeze new sticks before the beetles (if any) perish? Might start doing that myself.
    I believe 48hrs does the trick.

I put them in a zip lock bag, squeezing any air out, then into a second zip lock bag again squeezing air out. Then into the refrigerator for 24hrs, then into the freezer 48hrs, back into the refrigerator 24hrs. After I take them out of the refrigerator I leave them in the zip locks near my humi for several hours to get to room temp, before putting them into their new home :)

Might sound complicated, but after a few times it just becomes routine.

Oh, and sorry for doing a TJ3K