Home Ratings & Reviews

Ancient Warrior... what??? It's a Gurkha???

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
Picked up one of these at my local B&M. It was outstanding! Enjoyed every puff and nubbed the dang thing! And it was a Gurkha!! Liked it so much I grabbed another for the road. Very nice cigar!
"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gurkha, when they're good, they're great.....when...
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loved them and saw they just released them again. I still have one in the humi. Not a Gurkha fan at all, but do love them
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Cool, glad that you enjoyed it. Iv only liked the Centurion.
    One God, One Truth
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JD Gave me one to try and I cant wait! It's an 8" cigar so I havent found a good day to smoke it, but I am looking forward to giving it a try. I dont usually like bigger cigars, but I think the presidente or A size is really cool.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Puff, was it the original one with the yellow band? Those are sublime maduros. Haven't found too many of those. The re-release uses a purplish band and it's good, but not as good as the original. It's the only Gurkha that I like too.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    allsmokedup:
    Puff, was it the original one with the yellow band? Those are sublime maduros. Haven't found too many of those. The re-release uses a purplish band and it's good, but not as good as the original. It's the only Gurkha that I like too.
    Your post reminded me... you were the one I got the AW from. So thanks! I was confused... JD just had a box of assorted "A" size gurks.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    allsmokedup:
    This was the re-release, with the red bands. But dang, if the original is that much better, I'll sure be on the lookout for one of those! I had another one of the new ones today and it was every bit as good as the first one.

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
    This is the original band. Great smoke

• allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    allsmokedup:
    Your post reminded me... you were the one I got the AW from. So thanks! I was confused... JD just had a box of assorted "A" size gurks.

Pick a day where you have 3 hours to lounge about! It takes a while. Also it's best if there's others present, so you can look like a badass, lol!

p.s. Sherman, do you have a line on some of the originals??
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    allsmokedup:
    Gray4lines:
    allsmokedup:

Pick a day where you have 3 hours to lounge about! It takes a while. Also it's best if there's others present, so you can look like a badass, lol!

You have a PM
    allsmokedup:
    Gray4lines:
    allsmokedup:

Last time I was at the CI superstore (6 months ago) they had a box of them out. I knew they were re-releasing them so I only bought a couple thinking it was the new blend. I have 1 left. Have to schedule a trip down there in the near future. If they have any, I will buy them out and let you know.
    I remember the 1st one I smoked, it was a bomb fragment and it had 1 year and 4 months on it. 3 and 1/2 hours to smoke and I smoked every bit of it, even had to bring out the good stuff to drink with it. I now have 3 in "The Box" that are 6 months (at least) old and I will not touch them for 10 more months. If I die before then they are to be cremated with me, along with "The Box". And then my ashes are to be snuck into CI/CBid/CCom and spread through out the building.
    jd50ae:
    I remember the 1st one I smoked, it was a bomb fragment and it had 1 year and 4 months on it. 3 and 1/2 hours to smoke and I smoked every bit of it, even had to bring out the good stuff to drink with it. I now have 3 in "The Box" that are 6 months (at least) old and I will not touch them for 10 more months. If I die before then they are to be cremated with me, along with "The Box". And then my ashes are to be snuck into CI/CBid/CCom and spread through out the building.
    Man! I really need to find me one of these bad boys!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been a fan of Gurkha since the first time I had a Blue steel. Wish they still made them. But my favorite had to be the Vintage 2001 perfecto. Love those, love most as a matter of fact but it's my opinion all need to be dry boxed a day beforehand. But that being said I've had a couple I just had to toss. Yuck! Just can't remember which one all I can remember was it only had the one band without the secondary band identifying which blend.
    Puff_Dougie:
    jd50ae:

JD, is that the 10 inch Presidente bad boy you are referring to? Doug I will send you some over. I have not been able to find a 3 hour block of time to smoke one yet.
    rsherman24:
    Puff_Dougie:
    jd50ae:

JD, is that the 10 inch Presidente bad boy you are referring to? Doug I will send you some over. I have not been able to find a 3 hour block of time to smoke one yet.
    That's awesome, Sherm! Happy to trade you for them. Let me know what you would like.
    rsherman24:
    Puff_Dougie:
    jd50ae:

Yes.
    Puff_Dougie:
    rsherman24:
    Puff_Dougie:
    jd50ae:

That's awesome, Sherm! Happy to trade you for them. Let me know what you would like.

Not necessary Doug. I'll get some out as soon as I can get the USPS site to cooperate.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sherm, are you and Doug interested only in the Presidente? I might have a lead on some other vitolas of the original AW but so far not on the Presidente.
    jlmarta:
    Sherm, are you and Doug interested only in the Presidente? I might have a lead on some other vitolas of the original AW but so far not on the Presidente.
    If the blend is as good as I'm hearing, I'd be interested in trying some other vitolas. Whatcha got Marty?
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the original Gurkhas rocked... The OR Royal Brigaide, OR Legend, Ancient Warrior and Centurions were all cigars I enjoyed and still do when I can find em. Still hanging onto a few of the OR Riyal Brugaide double perfecto and Legends that are 8 years old at this point.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    jlmarta:

I would like to find some of the original AW in other vitola's. I have a couple of the Presidente in the new blend (and sent a couple to doug). I only have 1 of the original blend left in a robusto size. Let me know if you have any leads
    rsherman24:
    jlmarta:

I would like to find some of the original AW in other vitola's. I have a couple of the Presidente in the new blend (and sent a couple to doug). I only have 1 of the original blend left in a robusto size. Let me know if you have any leads

I'll keep you posted.... ??
    Sherm was kind enough to send me a couple of the Ancient Warrior Presidente's... and, of course, a few hitchhikers. Thanks so much, brother! Can't wait to try 'em!

Puff_Dougie:
    Sherm was kind enough to send me a couple of the Ancient Warrior Presidente's... and, of course, a few hitchhikers. Thanks so much, brother! Can't wait to try 'em!

I thought you and Sherm were looking for Ancient Warriors from the original release.... Did I misread that?? ??
    jlmarta:
    I thought you and Sherm were looking for Ancient Warriors from the original release.... Did I misread that?? ??
    Somebody said something about the original release, but then Sherm mentioned these gigantic Presidentes and offered to send me a couple. I love the new release blend, but would still love to try the original since folks have said it's even better.
    Puff_Dougie:
    jlmarta:
    Somebody said something about the original release, but then Sherm mentioned these gigantic Presidentes and offered to send me a couple. I love the new release blend, but would still love to try the original since folks have said it's even better.

Oh, okay. I just wanted to be sure I'm not spinning my wheels. I've got a few feelers out on the originals. I'll let you guys know what-if anything-I find out.... ??
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Puff_Dougie:
    jlmarta:

Oh, okay. I just wanted to be sure I'm not spinning my wheels. I've got a few feelers out on the originals. I'll let you guys know what-if anything-I find out.... ??
    I've had the ones with the bands shown in the pic above and really enjoyed them, good smokes.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    jlmarta:
    Puff_Dougie:
    jlmarta:

Yep, still looking for some of the originals with the Yellow band.
    rsherman24:
    jlmarta:
    Puff_Dougie:
    jlmarta:

Yep, still looking for some of the originals with the Yellow band.

Thanks, Sherm. It's been a while since I contacted a few sources and I have only heard back from one of them. It's beginning to look like I've been drilling a dry hole. Sorry about that. If i do hear something positive on them I'll let you know but, at this point I wouldn't hold my breath...... ??