Home Cigar 101
Options

Chapstick problem

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
I usually carry blistex brand lip balm to ease my chapped lips when necessary. The trouble comes when I'm smoking a stogie. The blistex doesn't pair well with ANY cigar. It ruins the experience really.

I've taken to dabbing on a little olive oil from the kitchen before I head out to smoke if my lips are already chapped. It works pretty good but it doesn't last very long.

Anybody have any good recommendations for lip balms that won't ruin your palate for smoking?

OK I'm experiencing a little de ja vu. Pardon me if I have asked this question before. (I searched but I couldn't find it.)

Comments

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Burt's Bees (Beeswax Lip Balm) or just plain ol' ChapStick.
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Stubble:
    I like Burt's Bees (Beeswax Lip Balm) or just plain ol' ChapStick.
    ChapStick and a 10-15 minute wait works for me. It let's it absorb.

When I was in an outdoor first aid class they talked about using oils from the corner of your nose if you want to try that...
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's the doctor in me, but I can't help wondering why the lips are chapped. Sounds like this is a regular problem. Prolonged exposure to harsh winds, sun, excessive heat or cold as well as dehydration can cause chapping. I know when I'm not getting enough water, my lips are the first victims. There are also several medical conditions, medications and allergies that will cause chapped lips. If the cause is unavoidable, I'd stick with more natural products. Burt's Bees, as previously mentioned, olive oil or coconut oil would all work. For the rare occasion that I need something, I keep a stick from MadeOn, which has only 4 ingredients and I can pronounce them all.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do yourself a favor --- for chapped lips/dry knuckles ditch the hand cream/lotion & chapsticks.....

Go get yourself a tin of Vermont's Original Bag Balm from the drug store....

Put a small amount on the dry/cracked areas at night before going to sleep .... after a couple nights your knuckles/hands/lips will be as smooth as a baby's bottom.
    After they're "back to normal" just keep putting on a little each night and to maintain. You'll be better than ever and won't need chapstick ever again!

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Thanks for all the responses so far. My chapped lips are usually due to wind and or low humidity. My cigar problem may be unique with my blistex getting on the cigar and then getting in my mouth and messing with my palate and my cigar enjoyment. Can anybody relate? Or am I the only one to complain about this? LOL

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Burts Bees
  • Options
    3 out of 5 of you mentioned Burt's Bees. I'll stop somewhere today if possible and give Burt's a try.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Thanks for all the responses so far. My chapped lips are usually due to wind and or low humidity. My cigar problem may be unique with my blistex getting on the cigar and then getting in my mouth and messing with my palate and my cigar enjoyment. Can anybody relate? Or am I the only one to complain about this? LOL

Put the lip balm on a bit sooner before you light up a cigar....make sure you don't put on too much and there's not a thick coating on your lips.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    3 out of 5 of you mentioned Burt's Bees. I'll stop somewhere today if possible and give Burt's a try.

It is really good stuff, and they also sell a balm and a few other things from the bees. I keep a block of bees wax for squeaky drawers.
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    I use to like Burt's in the little tubs but the stick version does nothin' for me. I use Chapstick "moisturizer" now... the blue one the light blue medicated is good too. I think I got addicted to eucalyptus, menthol and whatever else they put in some of these balms. The symptoms were that I was using a LOT more of it yet my lips constantly felt dry. I used to dig bistex back when it came in lead tubes... the new formula isn't as good imo.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    I use it daily, never noticed a problem
  • Options
    I stopped by the Exxon and Fred's. No Burt's Bees at either. I'll keep lookin'.
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I think the issue as a few people mentioned, is you need to apply the chapstick a good half hour or more before lighting up. Never encountered this myself, so heed the doctors advice that if its a persistent problem for you, maybe try drinking a few more full glasses of water per day. I'm thinking the awful winter here, plus usual that few of us drink enough h2o is the culprit. I recently moved into a routine of drinking 6 glasses of water per day and eating an orange and apple daily...holy cow I've never had this much energy and felt so tip top. Exercising also helps regulate everything. Sorry back to my Allones after that boo health recommendation.
  • Options
    naomi12naomi12 Posts: 8
    Yeah i always use the same thing. But also i prefer to use virgin coconut oil as well
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Rural King
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Or just man up. Am I the only one who doesn't use this stuff?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Walgreens or CVS

Aj
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone else actually finished a chapstick with out losing or drying it etc before? Ive done it 3 times now. Im so awesome
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    Has anyone else actually finished a chapstick with out losing or drying it etc before? Ive done it 3 times now. Im so awesome
    Twice. But you left something off your list...running it through the washer and the dryer and having it melt all over your clothes.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    danielzreyes:
    Twice. But you left something off your list...running it through the washer and the dryer and having it melt all over your clothes.
    Thats what I meant when I said drying. Trust me, ive done it a few times. The Mrs. doesnt like lol
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    I'm pretty close to the 2nd time that I can remember. I'm determined, tho I've lost this stick like 10 times lol
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    Ken Light:
    Or just man up. Am I the only one who doesn't use this stuff?
    In the big scheme of things, a Chapstick problem has to rate pretty low on the list.
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    Martel:
    danielzreyes:
    Thats what I meant when I said drying. Trust me, ive done it a few times. The Mrs. doesnt like lol
    My daughter did it once with cherry flavored...good thing it was just her clothes in the load.

I usually don't use the stuff; I man up. But there are times when it helps. I usually don't like the feel of it though. I'm the same way with lotion. Cracked and bleeding knuckles are worth not feeling greasy.

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Never... I lose or dry every one
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like good ol cherry Chapstick
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael... I can bomb ya some Bert's if you need it...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    danielzreyes:
    I've had several go through the dryer, lol. My dog ate two before...luckily they passed intact, lol.
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    Michael... I can bomb ya some Bert's if you need it...
    LOL No thanks :) I think I'll just "man up" and let 'em crack and bleed ;) Ha ha. Eventually I'll be at wallyworld buying toilet paper and I'll get some Burt's Bees while I'm there. But hey, maybe I should "man up" and quit using toilet paper too. Maybe use the pages from my old ccom catalogs? Ha!
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Carmex... I always have it on hand. Bag balm too. .. something to do with the Doo Dah breeze... 12-20 mph is not concidered windy most days. Wind can kill ya.