Home General Discussion

Got it from a doctor...

perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
No, not crabs. Today I was doing the medical history routine with a new doc today and she noted that I listed myself as a smoker and asked how many packs a day. I told her no cigarettes but about a cigar per day, rarely more; she replied "Oh, just cigars well that's fine. Cigars and pipes are just different from cigarettes, but don't tell the AMA I said that." Then I told her about the forum and meeting up with some of y'all and she replied "So it's more of a hobby. That's really great, you know, men have the best hobbies; if women picked up some of those hobbies, like you guys and your cigars, we'd be happier."

There ya go, I have doctor's permission to indulge in our hobby!

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's refreshing. Most people just don't get it. Sounds like she's a keeper. Is she single? LOL
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    That's refreshing. Most people just don't get it. Sounds like she's a keeper. Is she single? LOL
    Just remember, no **** helmet till the third date!

Seriously, though... my company is one of very few that actually offers non-smoker rates on life insurance for those who smoke cigars or pipes. Most other companies use smoker rates for any form of tobacco, but actuarial evidence also supports your doc's opinion.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heck I cigar bombed my doctor once.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    Bob Luken:

Seriously, though... my company is one of very few that actually offers non-smoker rates on life insurance for those who smoke cigars or pipes. Most other companies use smoker rates for any form of tobacco, but actuarial evidence also supports your doc's opinion.
    You know, she's one of the few women I didn't check for a ring out of habit, just wasn't in that mindset. Huh, maybe I should see a doctor about that.

But yeah, it was just a bit of a shock because she's the first health professional that didn't look at me like I just punched her daughter's kitten when I was honest about it. Definitely a nice change.
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    perkinke:
    Puff_Dougie:
    Bob Luken:

You know, she's one of the few women I didn't check for a ring out of habit, just wasn't in that mindset. Huh, maybe I should see a doctor about that.

But yeah, it was just a bit of a shock because she's the first health professional that didn't look at me like I just punched her daughter's kitten when I was honest about it. Definitely a nice change.
    I'm a Doctor of Chiropractic and my profession leans towards all things natural. I have no problem with cigars or pipes and have even told some patients that I enjoy a good cigar from time to time. Most of the garbage people eat these days is far more detrimental to their health than a cigar habit.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    perkinke:

Remember, "ask your doctor if you're healthy enough for s e x u a l activity..."
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    eat right.
    exercise
    still die.

i do remember seeing a study where they looked at 4 groups of people: cigarette smokers, Cigar smokers (one a day), Pipe smokers (1-2 bowls a day), and non smokers.

not surprisingly, the cigarette smokers died the youngest.
    but the next longest was a surprise. Non-smokers lived the next longest.
    then cigar smokers, then pipe smokers.

the theory is that cigar and pipe smokers dont do it to excess and there is a level of relaxation in their life that non-smokers just dont have.
    Amos Umwhat:
    perkinke:

Remember, "ask your doctor if you're healthy enough for s e x u a l activity..."
    That one always cracks me up, even if I'm not healthy enough, there are worse ways to go...
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    All I know is that I'm not going to be on my death bed saying "That was a damn good salad or non-alcoholic beer"

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    All I know is that I'm not going to be on my death bed saying "That was a damn good salad or non-alcoholic beer"
    Exactly. The public health folks I have to work with just seem so intent on taking all the good/fun things out of life, I just don't get it. For instance, every year we do a big organization wide breakfast for employees before the work day starts, we provide all sorts of breakfast stuff including vegetarian and healthy OPTIONS (which are almost always our biggest source of waste), yet the PH folks are still trying to make us get rid of the sausage, bacon, eggs, potatoes, etc. It just astounds me how opposed they are to allowing that choice, especially on the one morning a year our admin goes out of their way to do something nice for employees. I told our PR guy he needs to stand at the end of the line and take pics of all the Health Dept employees plates to ensure that they are abiding by their healthy eating initiatives. :)

I'm hopeful that my doc and ejgorman are indications that the anti-smoking extremism is waning and some rationality may be creeping in.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    I really would like to tell all these health nuts that living until I am 99 and having no fun doing it doesn't sound like an appealing outcome to my life.

Enjoying my meals, enjoying a few vices that aren't overly detrimental to my health, and dying in my 70s sounds just fine to me.
    So I did a little more looking and found a document that is a literature review of a large number of studies done. the results are fairly mixed, but it seems the only studies that show significant negative results were the groups who smoked 5 or more cigars or pipes per day.

http://pipedia.org/docs/Pipe_Smoking_Health.pdf
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    perkinke:
    The public health folks I have to work with just seem so intent on taking all the good/fun things out of life, I just don't get it. It just astounds me how opposed they are to allowing ...choice .
    Readers Digest version.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    Who wants to live forever? Outliving your friends, family and anyone who can relate to the time you grew up in or talk about the movies and music you love. Who wants to spend the last years of their life in a nursing home taken care of by strangers, drugged to keep you passive, deaf, blind, incontinent, drinking ensure everyday? Anybody? What? No takers?
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I've talked with a lot of doctors and some will just tell you not to smoke...period. Other doctors will tell you that the benefits of a cigar 3 times a week is better for you than taking prescription meds to calm you down..xanax, valium, etc. which is filtered through your liver and is more harmful than cigars...heck, pot is better for you than prescription meds for that matter.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Wish my doctor would say something like that.... Must be nice!

Aj
  • joremajorema Posts: 40
    Live long.
    Live happy.
    Enjoy each day to the fullest.
    Die with a smile on your face!