RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
Cat. She is a Domestic Short Hair & Siamese Mix image

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty cat. How old is she?
  • Options
    Not sure, we're about to call. The shelter website uses kitten, young, adult and old as dirt ratings.We were going to do a dog, but I want a Great Dane and am not looking to drop all that money yet. So we figure a cat will satisfy out kids desire for a pet. I figure if we get a cat, I want one that will actually let me pet him now and then.
  • Options
    I love dogs and kids.... As long as they belong to someone else. Down deep I'm a cat person. I love to watch them move, play, etc. They always seem like they're stalking something.

I also like their aloofness. A dog will fall all over itself trying to please the master. A cat couldn't care less whether you're pleased as long as IT is pleased...... ;-). Plus, I don't have to walk my cat a couple times a day. Cats are born housebroken. That's a major boon, right there.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice ***! The Siamese have attitude...FYI
  • Options
    I'm cool for it having me time and play time. Works with my wife.The only issue might be I read that Siamese generally bond strongly with one person. If true, I hope it's me....I'm the one who ends up playing with and feeding all of our pets anyways!
  • Options
    We haven't ever had a Siamese but I've heard (like Shizza says) they have attitude. I don't know about the bonding part. Our current cat is a 4 year old mixed breed that we rescued from a shelter when she was 6 weeks old. She takes spells where she doesn't want anything to do with me and other times when she's my cat. Typical female, I guess. Can't make up her mind.... Lol
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for you. Does the cat cello..?
  • Options
    Who cares, but she better stay away from the kitty litter in my humi.
  • Options
    So on the adoption form, they want my Company Commanders phone number. It says it's "In case you don't follow through with the contract and we are unable to contact you with the earlier provided contact information." So my question is...if I worked at Red Lobster would you call my boss? No.
  • Options
    PM to you, sir....
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    PM to you, sir....
    Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Step 1
    Get cat

Step 2:
    Get laser pointer

Step 3:
    Hilarity ensues

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    So...any tips for the two problems I'm worried about?Scratching everything and learning to use the litter box.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    So...any tips for the two problems I'm worried about?Scratching everything
    Get at least 1 scratching post and maybe put some catnip on it (at least at the beginning) so the cat's drawn to it and will check it out.
    If you catch it going towards something you don't want scratched you can try telling it "NO" or squirt it with some water from a spray bottle.
    Keep it's nails trimmed.

Some good tips here: http://lifehacker.com/5281000/keep-your-cats-from-destroying-your-furniture
    Rain:
    and learning to use the litter box.
    Good ASPCA article to get you started ... http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/remedial-litter-box-training

Just make sure the little kitty doesn't try to use any of your humi beads as the litter box, gross!!

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    So...any tips for the two problems I'm worried about?Scratching everything and learning to use the litter box.

You could get it de-clawed, some people are against that so Petsmart sells these little rubber sheaths that go over their nails(they come in colors too), so try as they might they cant scratch the hell out of things with thier front claws. And if you want to keep them away from certain places, they also have a spray called Felaway(i think thats how its spelled) odorless and colorless to humans but i put a few spritzes on my nice furniture and my cat wont go near it, it's a godsend. As far as the litter box goes, when i first got mine i filled the litter box, set him in it and scratched him for a few minutes and he went in it ever since. Cats are smart like that. Not as bad as house breaking a dog.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Rain:

You could get it de-clawed, some people are against that so Petsmart sells these little rubber sheaths that go over their nails(they come in colors too), so try as they might they cant scratch the hell out of things with thier front claws. And if you want to keep them away from certain places, they also have a spray called Felaway(i think thats how its spelled) odorless and colorless to humans but i put a few spritzes on my nice furniture and my cat wont go near it, it's a godsend. As far as the litter box goes, when i first got mine i filled the litter box, set him in it and scratched him for a few minutes and he went in it ever since. Cats are smart like that. Not as bad as house breaking a dog.
    Just an FYI, not to get into the humane or not argument on de-clawing, but your cat will not be as nimble or coordinated if de-clawed. Also, for litter training, if you have a spare bathroom, toilet training is actually pretty easy for some cats and will save you money and time if your cat is one that takes to it naturally.
  • Options
    Ok, thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't wanna declaw, trimming the claws works pretty well too. That's what we do with our cat since we didn't want to fool around with the plastic nail covers. They also make sprays that are supposed to deter cats from clawing stuff. Works on some cats, we have some but not sure our cat cares.

Cat's are scared to death of squirt bottles...
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Got this guy instead. We shall call him....Tiberius.image
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Got this guy instead. We shall call him....Tiberius.image
    Looks like he will be a monster. Have fun!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Rain:

Please do not de-claw a cat. It is so painful and they never get over it. Get a cat scratch post, wrap table legs, do what ever it takes but please do not de-claw.
  • Options
    We're going to start with Cat Nail Caps and see if that does the trick. I read only their front paws even need them. image
  • Options
    Got a few more.imageimageimage
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Siamese are probably the coolest cats, in my opinion.
    They have a lot of personality and can be quite bossy.
    The Siamese we had was 30-35 lbs (depends on whether it was summer or winter) and he went where he wanted. If he jumped on the bed, you knew it.
    And if he was on the bed, the dog didn't go near the bed.

If he got irritated with you, he would jump up on the counters and knock stuff off the counter and stare at you the whole time he did it.

He was a possum killer, rat killer and would chase racoons out of the yard.

Here he is pinning down his sister. Like I said, he would lay where ever he wanted.
    He passed away a few years ago, mostly because of complications from his size, I think.

And here he is in is favorite spot on my Harley.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You want a fun time with your cat? Get a fishing pole. One that's not too long. A kids pole would even be better. Tie something soft (so you won't break anything) on the end of the line. Have just about three feet of line off the tip of the pole and if he's like most cats he'll stalk and pounce and jump and get a great workout chasing whatever it is you tie on the end of that line. With just a flick of your wrist you get a lot of entertainment for you and your cat. I used to have a few cats way back when. We rescued and bottle fed three orphan siblings. It was chaos sometimes but a lot of fun. They could "hear" when I got the fishing pole out. They would all three literally come running at breakneck speed through the house ready for action.
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    It's about time you got some pu***, Rain
  • Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    Siamese are probably the coolest cats, in my opinion.
    They have a lot of personality and can be quite bossy.
    The Siamese we had was 30-35 lbs (depends on whether it was summer or winter) and he went where he wanted. If he jumped on the bed, you knew it.
    And if he was on the bed, the dog didn't go near the bed.

If he got irritated with you, he would jump up on the counters and knock stuff off the counter and stare at you the whole time he did it.

One of my cats does that exact same thing. He also has "his spot" on the counter and when a buddy would come over and set his keys there, they were immediately swiped to the floor
  • Options
    Tyland64Tyland64 Posts: 712
    Nice, we have 2 rescues that were pulled out of a dumpster about 4 years ago in February.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful cat. One piece of advice is when you do get a scratching post get one made with sissal rope rather than carpet, that way they know rope is for clawing, carpet is not. My two demolished a post and one end of an old couch, then got the rope post and never had another problem with them attacking furniture.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We sprinkled a very small amount of catnip on the post. And when I say small, I mean a very small amount. Just enough to get them interested and keep them interested. That way, they will claim it as theirs.
    That way they will concentrate their efforts on the pole.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.