Home General Discussion
Options

Dennis Rodman & Negative Cigar Image.

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
Dennis Rodman has a major meltdown on TV during an interview. And look! There's a cigar! He's waving around an unlit cigar in his hand as he's having this meltdown. He's screaming incoherently and sounding like some pro wrestler threatening his most hated nemesis. All the while he's pointing and gesturing with cigar in hand.

And then I see some woman on TV deriding his antics and she included the cigar in her list of things for which he deserved ridicule.

My conclusion. (Opinion) She's got a preconceived negative image of cigars. Rodman may be giving cigars a bad image but she already had this negative idea in her head.

Long story, but I do finally have a question.

Who can you think of that has helped give cigars a negative image in some peoples minds?

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    "Only rich snobs smoke them."Probably used to be true, so...meh.Oh, and can I read the article?
  • Options
    MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say maybe the movies? Especially mob movies I would think. Didn't the main character in The Sopranos smoke cigars? Im not sure. Just my 2 cents. :)
  • Options
    Random enough, at the start of every episode of Undercover Boss, they talk about rich CEOs and show a guy drinking scotch and smoking a cigar. I think they also mention that said bosses are out of touch with their business.
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Giving the puke the courtesy of a post is more than hes worth. Hes clearly a whack job.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    "Only rich snobs smoke them."
    I'll check the mail when I get home and see if there's a million dollar check there.
    If not, then the above statement is certainly not true, LMAO.
    curtpick:
    Giving the puke the courtesy of a post is more than hes worth. Hes clearly a whack job.
    Yeah....I remember watching him play for the Bulls in the 90s and thinking "this guy's a whack job" ...

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    John, you can't cut out half my statement!It's a fair statement to say that cigars are associated with the rich and powerful. No?
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    John, you can't cut out half my statement!It's a fair statement to say that cigars are associated with the rich and powerful. No?
    I keep hoping that the next cigar I smoke will make me rich and/or powerful. I must be smoking the wrong kind. Just like anything else, stereotypes exist for some reason (cigars are, at the end of the day, akin to setting your money on fire), and generally stick in people's minds until they meet someone who breaks it.

My example is whiskey, especially Bourbon. Most people you meet everyday, if you tell them you are 'really into Bourbon', will associate it with being a functioning alcoholic at best and a sloppy bum at worst. It isn't usually until I show them how deep that rabbit hole goes that they see it is a hobby like any other.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Yes yes sorry, didn't mean to misrepresent what you said.

25 years ago, definitely - that would be a true statement.
    But today ... I'd say maybe....
    IDK, I should probably watch the video.

But I don't think it's an automatic association --- IMO it depends on how you frame the conversation.
    If you say "rich & powerful" first then yes a cigar will probably go along with whatever picture you have in your head....
    But if you say "cigar" first --- I don't automatically jump to "rich & powerful"....
    If that makes any sense.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    I'm certain it's all relative to what you're individually exposed to. Therefore we (us brothers) see the hobby/passion for what it is and I sometimes forget that there are plenty of others out there who may have only had negative images supplied to them,....... like Rodman's rant.

Idiot + cigar, to the uninformed, becomes cigar = idiot.

Rich jerk + cigar, to the casual observer, becomes cigar = greedy jerk.

Gangsta rapper + cigar, becomes cigar = gangsta wanna be.
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've said this somewhere else before but even though. I know cigar aficionado gets bashed, especially for its rating systems, I think that the magazine does a nice job of promoting cigar smoking in a positive light. I'm not into celebrities at all but when when one graces the cover I think it does the hobby good. Assuming it's not rodman.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    I think everybody is making a valid argument about stereotypes & cigars. Great analogy with the bourbon btw. I think we are forgetting one thing though...Every sane person thinks he is bat shizzz insane & immediately discounts whatever is said by, or about him. He is just another celebrity hanging on to relevance & his 15 minutes by doing increasingly crazy stuff to put his name on tv.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    Echambers:
    I've said this somewhere else before but even though. I know cigar aficionado gets bashed, especially for its rating systems, I think that the magazine does a nice job of promoting cigar smoking in a positive light. I'm not into celebrities at all but when when one graces the cover I think it does the hobby good. Assuming it's not rodman.
    True. I don't know for sure but I hope he's never been on their cover.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dennis rodman is right up there with miley sirus and mr tingles.

Why are they even being talked about..?

They are self perpetuating pointless space wasting idiot baboons, and if the fools in the media would report news, you would not even know who or what they were.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I couldn't see the cigar over the crazy, so I don't think he's going to harm our standing in the community. I think the current dislike of cigars is also partly just about the overall disapproval of smoking in general.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, just drop a line to his buddy Kim, in N. Korea, stating that DR wants to take over, problem solved. L'il Kim will have him run over by a tank.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Dennis Rodman apologized Thursday for comments he made in North Korea about a detained American missionary, saying he had been drinking and was under pressure as he organized an exhibition game featuring former NBA players.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Dennis Rodman apologized Thursday for comments he made in North Korea about a detained American missionary, saying he had been drinking and was under pressure as he organized an exhibition game featuring former NBA players.

WOW.....bet that was sincere.

Wonder if the pillsbury dough boy treated him to the same luxury his father did for madeleine albright..lobster and fine wines and all kinds of delicacy's, while the people of N Korea starved to death.
  • Options
    TexvetTexvet Posts: 39
    I think there was a time when only the rich and powerful drove cars - not so much these days.