Home Cigar 101

Soft flame lighter vs torch

jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
I have been using a torch lighter to toast and light up (I live in an area where it is usually pretty windy) but some evenings it is still outside.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage of a soft flame butane lighter vs a torch?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    It is much easier to scorch the tobacco with a torch. I like a soft flame better, but if you're careful both achieve good results.
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to have a torch lighter, but can't see myself spending money on one. Bic has been cheap and working fine for me. If it is windy, I don't usually smoke.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    It is much easier to scorch the tobacco with a torch. I like a soft flame better, but if you're careful both achieve good results.
    this exactly.

i used to use a torch exclusively. it has better control. you point it at a specific spot and you get a pinpoint flame there.

now i use a soft flame. i find it takes longer to light the cigar but there is less chance of me scorching the tobacco so its worth it. the fuel seems to last longer in my soft flame than in my torch. i can get 2-3 cigars out of the torch. the soft flame i can get 8-10. that may be tank size also but i cant see that being that much of a difference, the lighters are about the same size.

i think a good part of it is mental as well. i feel that a torch is burning your cigar into submission where as a soft flame is breathing life into it.
  • *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    this exactly.

i used to use a torch exclusively. it has better control. you point it at a specific spot and you get a pinpoint flame there.

now i use a soft flame. i find it takes longer to light the cigar but there is less chance of me scorching the tobacco so its worth it. the fuel seems to last longer in my soft flame than in my torch. i can get 2-3 cigars out of the torch. the soft flame i can get 8-10. that may be tank size also but i cant see that being that much of a difference, the lighters are about the same size.

i think a good part of it is mental as well. i feel that a torch is burning your cigar into submission where as a soft flame is breathing life into it.
    I've ben curious about soft flames for a while and this got me thinking, any recomendations on soft flame lighters?
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    *Petey*:
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    this exactly.

I've ben curious about soft flames for a while and this got me thinking, any recomendations on soft flame lighters?
    Bic lol they are cheap last forever and if you lose it your not pissed!!
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    *Petey*:
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    this exactly.

HAHA, Fair enough, I actually do use my zippo from time to time. But I'm really looking for a Butane soft Flame . . . .
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    *Petey*:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    *Petey*:
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    this exactly.

HAHA, Fair enough, I actually do use my zippo from time to time. But I'm really looking for a Butane soft Flame . . . .
    Yeah not big on the zippos for cigars...don't really like the chemical taste added. But yeah on soft flames I use matches or my trusty bic it's never let me down and I lose tons of them lol
    Money can't buy taste
    This might be a dumb question, but I always thought Bic's used the same lighter fluid that zippos use. Is that not the case? Are they butane?

And I'll be honest, I don't have the most sensitive palate, but I've never actually noticed any difference in taste when using a zippo. I just get fristrated becuase of the wind mostly.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've used a zippo to light cigars and haven't had an issue. I let the flame burn for a couple seconds before starting on the cigar, that seems to mostly do away with the lighter fluid smell/taste.
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    ive tried matches...i dont have the patience! zippo...lost it!! bic...i have tons, my local shop gives me one every time i buy a stick!
  • RobIsSweetRobIsSweet Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    I love my torch! So much quicker i find
    bics are butane.

however, i have a Xikar EX that laker got for me. (thanks a million)
    that lighter is used to light about 99% of my cigars. the other 1% is still a torch.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Slow and steady wins the race, no matter what you got...
    Torches can be harsh, but keep them at a distance and you're golden, soft flames can produce a fantastic light, but oustide they can suck...

Just take your time no matter what and enjoy your smokes!
  • I use this in the wind:

http://xikar.com/products/lighters/exii/

It's a windproof (resistant) soft flame lighter.

But I love my IM Corona Old Boy for still conditions.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Slow and steady wins the race, no matter what you got...!
    If that's what she tells you..... ;-p

I use a tri flame butane for most cigars.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Slow and steady wins the race, no matter what you got...
    Torches can be harsh, but keep them at a distance and you're golden, soft flames can produce a fantastic light, but oustide they can suck...

Just take your time no matter what and enjoy your smokes!
    Well put, my sentiments exactly
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Vector torch I like. It has a dial on the torch tube that I can cut it back to a soft flame or full on soldering torch. I light up with the soft flame, then if I need touch ups, I dial in the torch to pin point where I want it. Works great for me, but like anything, it's a preference thing.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    0patience:
    I have a Vector torch I like. It has a dial on the torch tube that I can cut it back to a soft flame or full on soldering torch. I light up with the soft flame, then if I need touch ups, I dial in the torch to pin point where I want it. Works great for me, but like anything, it's a preference thing.
    you need to mail me that lighter.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    0patience:
    You need to send the lighter to Kuzi so he can do a full detailed review..... I will be waiting...
    jadelt:
    kuzi16:
    0patience:
    You need to send the lighter to Kuzi so he can do a full detailed review..... I will be waiting...
    does it have the "middle flame" where it isnt a torch and it isnt a soft flame? that may be epic.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    jadelt:
    kuzi16:
    0patience:
    does it have the "middle flame" where it isnt a torch and it isnt a soft flame? that may be epic.
    I'd send it, but it's also what I use at work to solder wires. LOL!
    As for the adjustment, it's a little valve type thing that controls the air, so I would imaging you can change the flame to how ever you want.
    The Vector torch calls it a flame length adjuster. Bernzomatic has a similar set up to adjust the flame. The Vector Nitro torch is about $55 and the Bernzomatic is about $25 from Home Depot. I've had both and the only reason I no longer have the Bernzomatic, is because it took a dive off a 200' bridge when I was working on a crane.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    christian1971:
    I'd like to have a torch lighter, but can't see myself spending money on one. Bic has been cheap and working fine for me. If it is windy, I don't usually smoke.
    Ronson makes a very reliable single flame torch lighter. Look for it at Wallmart in the tobacco lane runs around 4-5$. I've had one for over a year and it still works great.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    christian1971:
    Ronson makes a very reliable single flame torch lighter. Look for it at Wallmart in the tobacco lane runs around 4-5$. I've had one for over a year and it still works great.
    +1 on the Ronson. I bought a $60.00 Zippo "Blu" Torch, that lasted sixty days before it wouldn't work, no matter how I blew it out with the compressor, used gun cleaner, all the tricks that made things work before. I was going to mail it back to them for the famous warranty, but for the cost of postage I bought three Ronsons. Lost one, using one, one has not been touched. That was over a year ago.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Said it before, sure I'll say it again...

Jobon dual flame. Torch and soft flame in 1 lighter. $10 bucks. I've lit at least 250 cigars with mine and never had a single issue. I will never use anything else.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    You guys burn your cigars?
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    You guys burn your cigars?
    I stare at mine meaningfully.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    When I light up a stick at the B&M with a match, the guys always look at me like I pulled my **** out. Sorry fellas, I'd like to take my time on the overpriced stick you just sold me.

+1 Ronson for $1.99 at Hell-Mart. Still kicking after 2 years. Buy a couple though, one out of three of them will be an absolute piece of trash, trust me.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    bics are butane.

however, i have a Xikar EX that laker got for me. (thanks a million)
    that lighter is used to light about 99% of my cigars. the other 1% is still a torch.
    I'm fortunate in that I don't taste a difference from a bic to xikar. Probably super tasters and a few normal folk, but I wonder if the average smoker can?
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    As long as you are not pulling on the cigar with the bic or even a zippo, you won't taste it. Just toast properly, and I blow on the end to get a perfect cherry, and you will be fine. Tastes better IMO, and burns better.
    bics are butane. butane has no flavor
    Xikars are butane. butane has no flavor.

even super tasters will not taste the difference.

mainly because there is no difference.