Home General Discussion

wife, girlfriend or significant other support your hobby?

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Yep, bored again.

So does your wife or girlfriend support your hobby?

Tonight my wife came home with a few cigars from the cigar shop and tells me I got $200+shipping to spend on cigars. I almost wet myself. LOL!

She got some unexpected money and decided that I needed to re-supply. Gotta love her.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I'm a lucky man as well. My wife got me a cabinet humidor as a wedding gift and encourages me to buy when a deal is good and I'm thinking of passing anyway. Well, when I'm employed, of course. And she'll take a walk/sit on the porch with me while I enjoy one, even sometimes SUGGEST it. We are both very blessed...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    The wife isn't pleased with the idea, but she doesn't hassle me about it. She understands that I need to destress after a long shift and has actually suggested that I go out to smoke, but I think that's just because I annoy her most of the time...
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm an incredibly blessed man as well.... my wife is a member of the forum as well, nuff said ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    my wife went to tour factories in Nicaragua with me. id say she is supportive.
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    kuzi16:
    my wife went to tour factories in Nicaragua with me. id say she is supportive.
    I've smoked a cigar with you and your wife, I'd say she is super supportive....and great to bring to a herf!
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    And, my wife is extremely supportive. She loves the kick I get out of trades and bombs, calls me and sends me pictures when I get something and I'm working. As long as it doesn't take priority over her, she encourages it.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Support?....not sure what that means.....she doesn't buy me sticks or anything........she doesn't smoke....
    But, she doesn't give any grief about it at all......she gives me all the space I need to enjoy my little hobby (which ain't so little anymore).
    So in that way, I'm very lucky. And, oddly enough, she has been able to discern my higher end sticks by the aroma! It's kinda funny, she only comments ("oh, that one smells good") when I'm smoking one of my better sticks.....and I know for a fact she wouldn't know the difference between a Padron and a Black Pearl by looking at it, or that they are different classes of cigars. Not surprising I suppose, as she is a bit of a wine/food expert....so her palette is refined, more so than mine that's for sure.

• rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

My wife completely supports my cigar passion and hobby. She is the one who came up with the Man Cave idea, decorated it with leather couch. She also planned my outdoor smoking set up with banana leaf furnitures. Not only that she also make sure the maids clean my cave, ashtrays regularly. The air purifier and A/Cs are always clean. She dusts off my humidors once a week. She also host my cigar events with proper food and drinks. Last month I hosted a cigar event in my house for 50 people. She organized everything. Now she is also organizing my cigar trip to Cuba(with legal permission). When she went to Dominican Republic for a business trip, she brought some rare Opus X cigars for me. Also a full box of Don Alejandro cigar from Panama. Whenever she travels, she make sure to bring something cigar related item for me. When I visit Esteli or other cigar factories, she make sure my trips are well planned. Lately, she is pushing me to write a research paper about cigar history and the political impact about it because I have collected lots of historical information and data on it.

In return she asked for only one thing - I have to quit smoking cigarettes. I did it for six months but started again after my father's death. However, I am working on it. I do not hide it from her and she is helping me to quit. I am the luckiest man on earth. Here are some pictures of my man cave and outdoor smoking area decorated by my lovely wife.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Absolutely. When I'm home, she'll join me for a smoke once a week or so. She prefers Perdomo Champagnes and EPC New Waves.

She also checks the 500ct Indulgence once a week while I'm gone to make sure "the blue electronic thingy" (HumiCare EH) is between 68-70% and refills the cartridge when its running low.

For my birthday this year she went to Casa Fuente and pick up these (in case you miss them on the "What did you get today" thread:

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is refreshing to see that so many are as blessed as I am.
    We celebrate our 25th anniversary this Friday and I don't regret a minute of it.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:

My wife completely supports my cigar passion and hobby. She is the one who came up with the Man Cave idea, decorated it with leather couch. She also planned my outdoor smoking set up with banana leaf furnitures. Not only that she also make sure the maids clean my cave, ashtrays regularly. The air purifier and A/Cs are always clean. She dusts off my humidors once a week. She also host my cigar events with proper food and drinks. Last month I hosted a cigar event in my house for 50 people. She organized everything. Now she is also organizing my cigar trip to Cuba(with legal permission). When she went to Dominican Republic for a business trip, she brought some rare Opus X cigars for me. Also a full box of Don Alejandro cigar from Panama. Whenever she travels, she make sure to bring something cigar related item for me. When I visit Esteli or other cigar factories, she make sure my trips are well planned. Lately, she is pushing me to write a research paper about cigar history and the political impact about it because I have collected lots of historical information and data on it.

In return she asked for only one thing - I have to quit smoking cigarettes. I did it for six months but started again after my father's death. However, I am working on it. I do not hide it from her and she is helping me to quit. I am the luckiest man on earth. Here are some pictures of my man cave and outdoor smoking area decorated by my lovely wife.

I am seriously jealous. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    My girlfriend hates the hobby.....
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    taythegibs:
    Then keep her a "girlfriend" and avoid jewelry shops! lol ;D
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Ken Light:
    taythegibs:
    Then keep her a "girlfriend" and avoid jewelry shops! lol ;D
    its turned into a ldr..... so i have my space and can light up a cigar pretty much whenever i want to now.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    my sig other pepin always smokes with me. he also blends for me. you guys can't possibly top that
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    (she) has actually suggested that I go out to smoke, but I think that's just because I annoy her most of the time...
    +1.....^^^THIS. LOL I hear you brother, preach it.

But actually mine's very supportive, for the most part. When the weather's nice she'll sit outside with me while I smoke, sometimes she'll even want her own. Especially if it's a nice Saturday morning and the dog's behaving, we'll get a chance to eat breakfast outside on the porch and on those occasions she usually brings out a cigar or two on a tray along with the food....pretty awesome.

And there's been a few times when I'm smoking a "new to me" cigar, she'll like the smell, try it & like it, then "steal it" from me and say it's now hers. Haha.
    Oh well, that always gives me an excuse to buy more of that cigar and pull out another from the humidor for the time being.

The only time she gives me grief is when I get multiple packages each week, on those occasions she likes to remind me that we have a wedding to pay for this fall.....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
    My wife is okay with it. She smokes a cigarette now and then and, when she is in the mood for that, she'll tell me I should get a cigar out and join her. She wants me to try a pipe. I have one and some pipe tobacco, but I've never tried it yet. I just can't bring myself to NOT have a cigar when we have our smoke breaks...
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    My girlfriend loves the smell of cigars, and actually enjoyed smoking one once in a while. It's awesome.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    My wife is supportive as well. She will enjoy a stick with me from time to time. Her current favorite is a Padron maduro. She has even surprised me from time to time with a special cigar purchase.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    My wife is very supportive. She has no problems with me buying cigars and humidors. Of course, I make it a point to keep the spending in check and ensure that its a very small percentage of our extra money. I can't smoke in the house. That's her only rule.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    My wife is also very supportive. In fact, it was her idea for me to join this forum. She enjoys about one a week with me and will also steal one right out of my hand giving me the opportunity to grab another. She prefers infused cigars and last night grabbed an Acid Kuba Kuba from me. I have a 50ct humi that I then seasoned for her and will have to go grab some infused sticks to keep seperate from the rest. Other than Acid and Isla del Sol, anyone got any other suggestions for her? PM me, dont want to hijack the thread!
    rzaman:

Rip, thanks for sharing such a great story and piece of your life, something very treasured which is quite clear. Very very happy for you and honestly she sounds incredibly wonderful and reminds me heavily of my wife as well.

Several of you know Amanda from her small appearances on here, and others from visiting and talking with her and I first hand. She is, much like your wife, the definition of supportive and encouraging. I've been busting my hump working 3 jobs and 60-70 hrs/wk and she is working full time as well all in an attempt for us to be able to have a place to call our own here in the next 4-8 months hopefully. When the talks started about where we wanted to move, and what we wanted to get into the first two things that she said were that it needed to be close to a b&m so that I have a convenient place to visit and see friends, and that it needed to have a minimum of two bedrooms so that we could build a smoking lounge in the house because she wants me to be able to smoke inside and relax because she says I work hard. Lucky doesn't even begin to cover it, and I am thankful and blessed each and every day that I get to wake up by her side.

Rip, I am truly glad you have such a similar experience, and to all the other brothers who are supported by their significant others as well, I am truly happy for you all and glad that you get to share in a feeling like the one that my wife gives me!

Now, I'm sure I set myself up for some severe punishment, so bring it on boys lol
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Steve2010:
    Absolutely. When I'm home, she'll join me for a smoke once a week or so. She prefers Perdomo Champagnes and EPC New Waves.

She also checks the 500ct Indulgence once a week while I'm gone to make sure "the blue electronic thingy" (HumiCare EH) is between 68-70% and refills the cartridge when its running low.

For my birthday this year she went to Casa Fuente and pick up these (in case you miss them on the "What did you get today" thread:

Congrats Steve, that is BAD-AZZ bro! Come back safe and come back soon so I can finally bomb your azz!!!
    Amanda's and mine 1 year anniversary is coming up and she told me last night that she wanted to know where to buy CC's from because she wants to buy me a special box for our anny for me to lay down and age.... God I love this woman.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    rzaman:

Rip, thanks for sharing such a great story and piece of your life, something very treasured which is quite clear. Very very happy for you and honestly she sounds incredibly wonderful and reminds me heavily of my wife as well.

Several of you know Amanda from her small appearances on here, and others from visiting and talking with her and I first hand. She is, much like your wife, the definition of supportive and encouraging. I've been busting my hump working 3 jobs and 60-70 hrs/wk and she is working full time as well all in an attempt for us to be able to have a place to call our own here in the next 4-8 months hopefully. When the talks started about where we wanted to move, and what we wanted to get into the first two things that she said were that it needed to be close to a b&m so that I have a convenient place to visit and see friends, and that it needed to have a minimum of two bedrooms so that we could build a smoking lounge in the house because she wants me to be able to smoke inside and relax because she says I work hard. Lucky doesn't even begin to cover it, and I am thankful and blessed each and every day that I get to wake up by her side.

Rip, I am truly glad you have such a similar experience, and to all the other brothers who are supported by their significant others as well, I am truly happy for you all and glad that you get to share in a feeling like the one that my wife gives me!

Now, I'm sure I set myself up for some severe punishment, so bring it on boys lol
    No punishment here Irish, I totally agree with you. We are building our first house and our builder is leaving the basement unfinished. My wife is already figuring out how I should furnish my smoking lounge/poker room (which will be off of the man cave/home theatre) when we finish it. We are all truly lucky to have someone to support us. Good luck in your home search, I am sure it is a very stressful process if its anything like ours has been.
    Sounds like most of you guys have found a "keeper".....good stuff, congrats.
    Very cool hearing what your SO's will do for you, especially rzaman and Steve2010. Nice.

And best of luck with the home-buying/building process Irish and mmccartneydc. We went through this last summer - it was a helluva a mess and to make a long story short, after about 1.5 months - including multiple visits to the house, a home inspection, and 7-counter offers - the seller refused to drop the price/have gutters installed so the deal fell through....oh well, we figure now we just have some more time to save $$ and get something bigger or better.
    You'll have to share the results of you're smoking rooms so I can get some ideas when we finally look to buy again. /thread jack.

And PM at ya, mmcartneydc

Jgibv and Marty, thank you guys both so much for such kind words and support! I don't think we will be able to buy a house yet since we still both have outstanding student loans and we haven't been at our jobs for more than a year, so no one will grant us a loan. However, we are looking at some rent to own places, and a few other choices where it would be a lease and is renovation friendly. Regardless when we get truly serious about it we will keep you all in the loop... aside from the new addy that is, can't have y'all getting ahold of it :)
    Irish, PM to you bro.....

• jesenstenjesensten Posts: 36
    jgibv:
    The only time she gives me grief is when I get multiple packages each week

+1

As a newb, she's very supportive of my having a hobby. She even bought my first humi as a gift. What she didn't expect was the cost to stock the thing! Once I discovered the Sprint Sale she started to wonder about the multiple boxes in a week!
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Mrs. sKweekz is pretty supportive. She often calls me a "cigar nerd"
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    I have always had a humidor since we have been married. She knew I generally had a cigar whenever I played golf or was sitting around with the guys, she actually enjoys the smell. She smokes cigarettes, so she enjoys it when I have a cigar because that means I am sitting outside with her. On our trip to the bahamas a few weeks ago, she kept encouraging me to buy the cubans that were abundant. So I had a few decent smokes. Now that I am wanting to actually stock my humi, we'll see how that one will turn out....