Home Cigar 101

Pre-Cutting Cigars

MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
Can you store cigars after they are cut, or do you have to smoke them immediately once you cut them?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    You can store them just the same. I'd imagine that having both ends open might expose the filler to more air, but I don't know if that would be a problem as long as the cigar is kept at proper humidification.
  • brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    I've done it a few times and didn't seem to make a difference. I sit down out back with my drink, cutter, lighter, and cigar. Get it cut, get ready to light it up, and sh*t happens. Kid got into something, wife needs something done "now", or someone shows up and the cigar has to take a back seat to what needs the more immediate attention. Throw the stick back in the humi for a nap, until next time.
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    Alright, that was reassuring. Thanks for the responses!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    MAJORdorMo:
    Can you store cigars after they are cut, or do you have to smoke them immediately once you cut them?
    Yeah.. I agree with these guys, I have done it several times, just get it back into some kind of humidified container asap. If fact, sometimes I prepare my cigar in the morning, Cut it , test the pre-light draw, take the band off, so when I get back to the car after work it is ready to go.
  • kent1146kent1146 Posts: 86
    I do it every now and then when I need to take a cigar with me when I need to travel.  Pre-cutting a cigar saves me the trouble of having to bring my cigar cutter with me, which I do not know if it would be allowed through airport security on carry-on luggage.

Just make sure you keep it properly humidified until you are ready to smoke.
  • robert69165robert69165 Posts: 219
    cut or uncut...oh were talking about cigars right? ;-)
  • smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    robert69165:
    cut or uncut...oh were talking about cigars right? ;-)
    We're talking cigars....what are you talkin about?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    some actually believe that clipping a cigar before putting it in the humidor at all will help the aging process. the theory is that there is more opportunity for the correct RH to get anywhere in the cigar.
    i dont cut mine.

BUT...
    i do have one or two cut cigars in my humidor. If i cut and do a pre light draw, and the draw is to tight, that cigar will go into the aging humidor. every now and then i will draw on it to see if it has improved. it takes a while but its happened. Ive got the time.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    If i cut and do a pre light draw, and the draw is to tight, that cigar will go into the aging humidor. every now and then i will draw on it to see if it has improved. it takes a while but its happened. Ive got the time.

Hey...good idea!!!
  • smokestersmokester Posts: 131
    kuzi16:
    i do have one or two cut cigars in my humidor. If i cut and do a pre light draw, and the draw is to tight, that cigar will go into the aging humidor. every now and then i will draw on it to see if it has improved. it takes a while but its happened. Ive got the time.

Never thought of that if it happens to me now i know what to do.
  • tankbonniestankbonnies Posts: 191
    kent....thats a great idea..never thought of that while traveling.....Good to know.....
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would you think if you got any type of trade, pass or bomb and some or all of the cigars were pre-cut?
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kent1146:
    I do it every now and then when I need to take a cigar with me when I need to travel.  Pre-cutting a cigar saves me the trouble of having to bring my cigar cutter with me, which I do not know if it would be allowed through airport security on carry-on luggage.

Just make sure you keep it properly humidified until you are ready to smoke.

I do this all the time since a simple little thing like grocery shopping can be a long drive. And its probably the only time I use a BIC. I also put a tight draw back into the humidor for varying times and it seems to help quite a bit.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    smokester:
    kuzi16:

Never thought of that if it happens to me now i know what to do.
    Might try this myself usually I pull out the poker and pinch the crap out of it till I force it to open up. But your way sounds like it involves much less cursing.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    What would you think if you got any type of trade, pass or bomb and some or all of the cigars were pre-cut?
    I'd be not happy...
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Bob Luken:
    I'd be not happy...
    LOL I've got a few nice boutique cigars leftover from a weekend trip where I had asked the B&M clerk to pre-cut because I was without my cutter on this trip. So, I as luck would have it, my folks did not get the chance to partake of these cigars. I still have a few. So, I kinda' been wondering if it would be a breach of etiquette to mail these to anyone. LOL I guess the implication would be, "Has someone been pre- draw testing these too?"
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Gray4lines:
    Bob Luken:
    I'd be not happy...
    LOL I've got a few nice boutique cigars leftover from a weekend trip where I had asked the B&M clerk to pre-cut because I was without my cutter on this trip. So, I as luck would have it, my folks did not get the chance to partake of these cigars. I still have a few. So, I kinda' been wondering if it would be a breach of etiquette to mail these to anyone. LOL I guess the implication would be, "Has someone been pre- draw testing these too?"
    That's what I'd be afraid of! I guess that'd be ok, I'd probably explain if I gave someone a cut cigar. Just seems wrong.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    creepy.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like going to the store and buying an open bottle of soda. I wouldn't smoke it